YOUNG RIDERS PICK A DESTINATION AND GO.

OLD RIDERS PICK A DIRECTION AND GO.


These are sayings out of the book Sit Down, Shut Up & Hang On!

A biker's guide to life.

Sunday, October 6, 2013

Alleged Motorcycle Discrimination in Alexandria

October 2, 2013 I need some help from Virginia motorcyclists.  Particularly I am asking help from those in the Northern Virginia area.  I have received a complaint from a motorcyclist concerning personal property taxes on motorcycles in Alexandria.  According to this person, the City of Alexandria requires that your vehicle carry a decal showing that you paid your personal property tax.  Each year the decal changes color.  According to this person, each August the city sends out invoices to the motor vehicle owners.  The invoice for cars and trucks apparently includes that year’s decal.  However, according to this person, the invoice for motorcycles does not include the decal.  You must first pay the tax and then contact the city for your decal afterwards.  If this is true then it is troublesome.  I do not have an issue with the city wanting to ensure that taxes owed are in fact paid.  I do have an issue with motorcyclists being treated differently than other motor vehicle owners.  If this report is indeed true, it would seem that the City of Alexandria is saying that motorcyclists are less responsible and trust worthy than other motor vehicle owners.  Additionally, it forces motorcyclists to go through an additional bureaucratic step in order to legally own their motor vehicle.

If you are aware of this practice please contact me.  Additionally, if you live in Alexandria and have not experienced this I would appreciate hearing from you as well.  Before I contact the city I want to make sure I have all of the facts straight.  Thank you in advance for any help that you can provide.


Matt Danielson
McGrath & Danielson
Tom McGrath's Motorcycle Law Group
1-800-321-8968
Motorcyclelawgroup.com

 

SCRC Family

OPEN ROAD